19 quotes from creative geniuses on how to harness creativity
Creativity is an enigma humanity has tackled for centuries. Although thousands of books claim to lay down a concrete formula for the creative process, there’s no one size fits all process. We all have different brain connections, varying levels of neurotransmitters, etc.
Here’s wisdom from creative minds throughout history concerning their creative processes. Let their words kickstart your creative engine and unravel the mystery of creativity.
19. “Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That's because they were able to connect experiences they've had and synthesize new things.” - Steve Jobs
18. “Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things.” - Ray Bradbury
17. “Originality is nothing but judicious imitation.” - Voltaire
16. “If you hear a voice within you say, you can not paint, then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” - Vincent van Gogh
15. “The chief enemy of creativity is good sense.” - Pablo Picasso
14. “The soul should always stand ajar. Ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.” - Emily Dickinson
13. “Around here however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward opening new doors and doing new things because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney
12. “We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.” - Kurt Vonnegut
11. “An idea that’s not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.” - Oscar Wilde
10. “I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking” -Albert Einstein
9. “The painter has the Universe in his mind and hands.” - Leonardo da Vinci
8. “Graffiti is one of the few tools you have if you have almost nothing. And even if you don't come up with a picture to cure world poverty you can make someone smile while they're having a piss.” - Banksy
7. “For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
6. “There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard.
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination
they produce more hues than can ever been seen.
There are not more than five cardinal tastes, yet combinations of them yield more flavours than can ever be tasted.” - Sun Tzu
5. “The thing is to become a master and in your old age to acquire the courage to do what children did when they knew nothing. ” - Ernest Hemingway
4. “Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience.” - Henry David Thoreau
3. “When I am ..... completely myself, entirely alone... or during the night when I cannot sleep, it is on such occasions that my ideas flow best and most abundantly. Whence and how these ideas come I know not nor can I force them.” - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
2. “Despite a lack of natural ability, I did have the one element necessary to all early creativity: naïveté, that fabulous quality that keeps you from knowing just how unsuited you are for what you are about to do.” - Steve Martin
1. “I've been all over the world and I've never seen a statue of a critic.” - Leonard Bernstein
Do you have any quotes on creativity? Share with us in the comment section.